Tuesday 3 January 2017

to the loons

To the loons who live on lake kezar


Out there, in the brush of water and sky
you glide, just out there on evening’s purple.
Beyond the dock, you call in elegy
a sonorous om which keeps you burnished.
In the deep hours I’d sneak past the guard,
wade through forming dew to the grey sleeping
snapshot of your home. I’d swallow my breath
and listen for you, step out of my clothes
into the water, softly diffusing
myself into the rippling darkness.
My strokes in night, natural as your long hues;
seeking communion with those indistinct
                                                                        blacks and blues.
God’s hand cups your calls and lets them fall like
                                                                        paint drops
but I emerge, dripping blues from nude limbs

                                                                        the whole way home

No comments:

Post a Comment