Monday 2 January 2017

eve

here we stand and play and sit
gnawing away at cold pits of grass clod frozen
up there in larynx chords and in stomachs
holding the things that have closed us close
holding each other up to the light

they arrived at 1 am, my hunger slanting
the dark towards unsealed windows,
clasping hands and breasts over rough flannel
we turned the house down and lit the candles
after a moment holding ourselves in the dark

a blanket stretched across us all
blending oak leaves and smells of fall
into a distinctly winter time, death and collapse
in the air with every breath, fogging like heartbreak
coalescing in cold rain like desperation

it may be the first new years I am taken care of,
silver canted over into purple glass,
the tapping at the windows coming from waves
of heat and sound rather than something trying
to get in or be let out

in brookline they prepare for early bed,
small folding down of pages for tomorrow,
a ritual as old as our people that says “we will still be here”

in between pines in the small town where I grew up
they wander through a sanitized kitchen to grab logs
from beneath the porch, crawling with dirt and life,
and drag them up into the living room to make a fire
before the friends they have known since before they knew each other arrive

we are precarious. A mixture of probiotics and what we consume,
living and dying, freezing and thawing like double paned glass.
The house is changing in nature, just as I am.
Any of us. Charlotte is closing her eyes.
And for a time, none of us seems to be home,
As I flip the lights in each room on and off,
Just to check the bulbs I say,
Just to remind myself of the places we’ve been.

When they scarred my back—they came
As if in dreams to call my name,
Hold my hand for a moment in the crashing waves
I was stretching my fingers and salt was on my cheeks
And afterwards we played pool and it was good.

I have changed this year. An additional ring.
Held. Overflowing. Cards in the pocket.
And a rolled up sleeve. I am going somewhere
That I do not know. And I do know,
That this house with the machine in the basement,
And dreams of grand love, will be with me.
It is a new year in several hours
And the nervousness subsides, leaving ringlets, shadows
Of sand along the pacific.

You are coming with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment