Wednesday 11 January 2017

Potomac Falling--2013

Maybe it is the time of year, but
Potomac, where are your swans?

Your cold churns dreamily clip
A piece of brain for a slide,
Sliver it across glass,
And it is my hands, which
Without me, hold it to the light.

This is where 8 a year lose their bones.

I will address you
The undress of a lover:
Time after time
Inch after inch
Address after address.

River of swans you draw eyes like Picasso--
Pull them in with the suggestion
of a dangerous line— like a poem.

Above you, bundled couples
Tread the treeline
In some approximation of a ritual
Circle. you spit up like a child at their blindness,
You reach out like the dying.

You rise up shallowly
Like the alcoholics at a thousand points
as if a river of mouths growing desperate
For air runs just beneath your surface.

Where is the air you breathe, river of swans?
Wherefore? Why?

Potomac if I jump,
Will you carry me like a swan?
Will you cherish the whirls in my bones,
read the calligraphy on my skull?
Will you scatter my memories,
Forgive my skin and the contents therein?

Potomac, we mouth the same cold, exultant language—
We lose that bit of foam others need to speak.
Your rocks hold it, hide it.
(If she plays “Chicago” I will cry
and turn my back to her,
and if she asks, I won’t have the words
in her language. The sobs will just collect
like foam in an eddy.)

Potomac, do you recite Hicok, Whitman,
Or something older?
My sadness must seem young to you.

Do you see my life behind me,
Like a stretch of muscled water?
I must seem terribly forgetful.

Potomac, you look like one
Who has never spoken of the end.
Some things are not worth talking about.
No, but that is something learned.

Potomac, you have not learned
Those things you should not learn.
The hardness, the shortsightedness of the road,
The strange numbness of the soft skinned,
To miss the swans who no longer line your shores.

Potomac, I know one.
She plays like a peacock
And speaks like a soul
Of a body larger than her own,
Some great river.
Sometimes we fuck to dispel darkness.
And sometimes we speak dates through
Printed glass: causes of death, single sentence summations
Of each other.

We make poems of only words.

Potomac, I am in love with her
And have learned to forget
The false old histories of those words.

Potomac, I may have just learned the name
that she makes me feel fashioned in the image of.
Potomac, no, she makes me feel fashioned in my own.
Potomac, I will remind you, you are not my first.
I will introduce you.

I was forgetting her when I asked about your swans.

No comments:

Post a Comment