Friday 20 January 2017

1?20?2017

We are breathing heavy over
The bar at 1pm, deep in it,
Changing neon across our faces,
Big bear bartender who refused to put it on tv
Turned with us now, falling on the sword,
Throwing out jabs like bottles from a group of protestors.

Part of this is quiet,
The way we would pass through security at 4am
Sleepy eyed guards ushering us through
With thoughts on their husbands in bed
Or bag lunches crowded into the back of podiums.

He speaks behind a golden eagle,
Wing tips pointed up for freedom carefully,
And interspersed with his wife’s strange garments marching to gold cutlery
Are images of young people in the streets,
Shaking their fists at a row of well trained facelessness.

I am in the stall-less bathroom
Gunmetal showing through the walls
And floor canted down to guide you in.
My ass cheeks are numb and my brows swallow,
As I pass by the mirror, my eyes are low.

My lover is with the miners,
With the nurses in the hills,
An audiobook away, and coming close
To the leatherbound violence soon.
I see a woman clutching herself on tv, hood turned up
And with hand over wrist obviously squeezing
As tightly as she can.

The handing over of power--
A strategically worn bible, casted across the country
Into plains and over mountains, through the hollow parts of cities
And the gullies of the suburbs,
Blotchy white, frozen over pupils,
Calling for blood, the same blood to be shed.

Do not stop, do not stop.

We are calling out to friends
And hundreding glasses left
With only foam along the edges.

If there is a thing to be said here
I think it must be
Held between fingers dry like a cigarette,
Wet like mud.
And definitely broken. I wrote before, “I am broken speech revived”
But these words, broken over themselves
Like backs over a folding chair,
Mustn’t comport themselves like a bourgeois patio garden
And mustn’t tell themselves they are doing the right thing in the fight
And mustn’t simply sit and get drunk over vinyl.

We are up at 6am, launching through rain spilled streets,
Wheels spitting it contemptuously onto our work pants.
She has two children,
But when she cannot control what floor she is on
She crushes her knuckles in the concrete
So that her finger dangles off her hand
Like a climber at the edge of the world.
And she is crying, slowly.
Then they take her to the hospital.

Some days, my lover’s eyes
Say only “see this,
See this with me.
We are the ones who will not look away
From the fire or the blood
Or any of the poetry bubbling bubbling bubbling.
If not, then who?”

Before the birds come out, I think if there are children
 in that crowd I think they are on fire like the trash,
Block bloc is adding fuel and blocking intersections
And they are hated and they are putting others in danger
And they are making me feel better.

White ladies holding signs are named diane
And they want their voices to be heard.

Rose flies to California Wednesday
To take her kids back from that abusive pastor.
I wish I had not gotten kicked out of her bar
Last night.
Or eaten that cake,
Or burned myself on the stovetop.
She was cool against the wood frame
When she whispered it was not our fault.


When I dreamed, it was very deep in the cavern.
First night of more than 2 hours this week,
And it was packing up for a long journey
Where I could not bring much,
But everything I did not take would be destroyed.
Fire is the one element man can create.
First I packed a bag of sentiment, of black porcelain Scotty dogs
Then I dumped it out on the floor,
Some breaking some not.
Then I packed food and knives.
And dumped.
Then I saw at the back of the room,
A tarp still wet with cold rain.
And I knew exactly what I needed
And exactly what I could not take.

Today flirts with apocalypse
The way the ladies at table 53
Look at me and then undertip.
Today is 2 bottles deep.
We are waking in the same dirty sheets
With the same sleeplessness
Wishing for the same pills we cannot afford to take.
Something about today costs too much to speak of.
You’ve gotten down on yourself
And there ain’t no way out
But through.

And before you can say anything
she is coming
down hard on you.
After, she rolls over herself,
And asks, sadly, where you are.
“Where are you?”

Where are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment