Saturday 21 January 2017

because it has been a week and i still haven't called him back

First, there were dreams of crystalline horses in hiking socks
Catching the last train in the blizzard
To a deeper part of the storm--
5th avenue shut down and blinking red lights highlighting a solitary figure
dragging a shovel behind him in the middle of the white street--
“if I have a bad day I say I deserve a drink and if I have a good day I say I can afford to drink.”

today josh has $100 dollars in savings,
contemplating giving up on josh the sportscaster
newsanchor daily beard trimmings
a learned puckering of the mouth and warm
laughter following everything he does not have
a ready response to.

Like the wind rush of a car, birds overhead
get a late start for winter or spring on this day.
My body lights up in 50 degrees asking to have socks off
And feel something.

Dreams of grandeur and pink sky in
The writer’s row home
Make a stunning set to the silent film,
Each in his room, computer whispering,
And the studio filled with a depressed woman and her lover
Trying to paint what can make it better or
Just paint it at all.

Harry potter was forbidden Josh
But he ended up gay anyway.
And without saying it,
There were no comics in my home on the edge of middle class boston
And my mother, who I love
Fought to change everything,
Not knowing much about what it means
to be an Italian construction worker
with a mortgage in the suburbs.

As the train starts past 52nd street,
Josh’s head droops towards his phone
And he swipes his thumb right
Once, and then again.

I come home to a menorah by the window
Arcing its waxed back at the setting sun.
Young people are always outweighed.
But the whole future, with months of travel
And sex and snow and homelessness,
And something else is determined
by more odds than that.

The politicians are singing America now,
And the farmers are coming to the empty nest,
And the firestarters at university are hoarding PBR’s
And the dock workers are laying down their arms
And liberty herself is shrugging
As a thousand boats leave and a thousand boats come in
And every day is looking in the mirror saying
“I don’t feel so old as I look,
but I’m proud of what has marked me so.”

My grandmother was married in a letter to Iceland,
And she died in a queen size bed in marblehead, quietly,
With her rugs still white and everyone expecting
The EMT’s, or whoever came, to recognize her and say,
“Barbara, it’s been so long. You were so much then,”
then look at all of us with tears in our eyes
“and look at all you've made.”

Her china set is breaking,
Plate by plate,
Party by party as I grow older.

I had a dream the one who stole my heart first
Sat cross legged over the pieces,
Arranging dinner for us
Before we would take a long journey.

I input Josh’s story to the database late in the evening,
And clasp the duct tape on each end of the screen shut,
Hoping these great fragments will grow
And bond and change each other
Along with something I give
That pushes us towards something new.

Today I woke up and saw the man who drove the trolley
And all the ones who ride the 6:36 trolley
And I thought I caught a glimpse of a former friend
And then I saw the grand hotel Monaco
With its chandeliers spraying light into the snow
and I saw hundreds of people
Storming in for brunch to celebrate this Sunday
And then I saw my life as if from one of the windows way up
In one of the buildings in the city of dreams.
It looked lonely and driven,
And I looked tired and hungry
And had rough hands the size of small towns.
And I don’t know what to do with that.
“man,

but it gets cold quick in Philadelphia.”

No comments:

Post a Comment