Monday 12 December 2016

postcard of virginia pines

We are neither so old as to be bridges
Nor so young as to be forgetful.
A matte postcard of Virginia pines
Claws its way through my life,
As every month I clear my desk and find it
Still sitting there.
I am sorry I have not replied.

It would be simpler
Were it because I loved you too much
Or even not at all anymore.

The truth is your truth
Has become something I am afraid of.
Because it is simple.
Because I knew it when we were children.

In the brief hours when I make it back to boston
We make love but
I never break through to you anymore
Which is unsurprising because
My broken pieces no longer lie
So close to the surface as they once did.

My fingers calloused, a thousand poems written,
And a taught anger I use as a tool everyday
How could we be the same?
And you touching a hundred burns
And roaming for the first time along

the Appalachian spine, where did you expect to find me?
We are deep into the pages now,
And it feels like the only way I can give my story
These days is to sell it,
but I can’t sell you my life.

So what on earth could I write back
If you talk about Christmas
And say you still love me
And send a Polaroid of brown Virginia pines?
It feels like there is no paper in the house
That can contain the years of silence,
Though probably all we need

Is to seal a few blank pages with the cost of a stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment