Monday 19 December 2016

both that it will stop or that it won't

Several times the question is asked
“is da levy dead if he’s here
with us?” but a book is not a heart
even in shaking addicted hands.

Sleep is coming to the cloud castle in droves,
with its knives. We thought
We might escape with love
a sense of purpose but while I was dreaming
every plate in the house cracked and
paul was naked out by the stuffed bear
trying to pick a fight with the bard,
the only one of us friends with sleep.

These games are more to the players.
While a john might go home empty
Handed one night and fill his hands
With his own cock, if one of my friends
At the airport loses, I think a gun
Is more likely. And I am beginning to
Feel scared the way men in the dark
caves are scared-- it is not about tomorrow
Or who might save or fight
for us, but the yawning wild
power of what is not me.
The power that closes mouths
And skitters your heart and sneaks
Into the lovers’ bed to tear them.

Heat is eternal
Hence why the bard’s primal fear is chemical
And lends its real self to the story self
In a confusing ink puddle which goes to show
Both are just damn ink.

It's a damn shame.
Where there is dust in these cluttered coves,
There is the possibility of mud, with a little rain.
And there, perhaps, a place where something might stick.
And the cliffs have begun to be covered in art,
The way up north on 5th the blocks of vacants bear
The burden of a hundred names. But—

I try to surround myself with poetry
Though I know I am nothing
of the sort. I want my father to shake me
and say “there is no reason to do that
or the other, and it’s all games the poor
and the rich and reaching for anything
is as much an attempt to get it
as it is sell it. And that’s true of the union, and walmart,
the police, hillary rodham,
and you and i. so snap out of it and get a better job,”
so I could slap him and find some fire but,
I am still not waking up. And while sleeping,
I can’t write, but if I only write,
To everyone on cobbs creek in the flooding,
And to the little jewish kid getting his face pushed
Against the chain link and learning to forgive his mother,
There’s no fight. And without the fight we all die in dust.

da died and I don’t know what he might
Feel about the ivy crawling
through the room he lost his head in in east Cleveland
Or the mattresses being dragged through streets
By bareback men in the summer heat but I know
That I ain’t dead and it feels better to hold a heart in my hands
Than a damn book. I’m not happy with dreams—
Redemption, salvation, paradise.
I’ll know we’ve got it when I smell petrichor.[1]




[1] “Readiness is all”

No comments:

Post a Comment