Tuesday 6 December 2016

October, i'm running

She walks in ready to negotiate
All business and black down to her teeth
With flowers in her hands.
“ The witch arranged them for you
when I said you took care of me”
but the next-day rain is cold, cold and down,
going through corduroy to skid across flesh

a snifter stained with wine
Waiting on steel wool to scar it.
And where is she? Holding her insides
While they stick her full of needles and sugar

I recoiled like a garage door closing
When she told me she wanted to see other people

This is winter.
October I’m running and all that.
This is holy roses drying on the counter
And red red cheeks as again I find
If I have one I’ll have 15 and then
tear the house apart.

The tire wheel slicks across the road
Wondering when the horns will blare
Too loud, or hearing the screech of white owls across
The river asking for reprieve, asking to be

Let in.

No comments:

Post a Comment