Friday 17 February 2017

trying 2

Amongst the curling smoke mountains,
Cosied into the dimpled chin,
Your unfurnished apartment
With a ginseng and lavender candle burning.

The sun is out today,
Snow melts in the shape of black ice,
A few hours ago, my car hood is stuck up on its hind legs,
Trying to get a light, or at least a drag
By the side of the highway. I smile
At the pieces of us the other does not know.

Because in the steam, faces wet
With something from the inside
Mixing indistinguishably with something
From the outside, inches apart, no space apart,
Quietly touching,
Warm hand, cold water, hot water,
Breast, knee, neck, cheek,
Dragging along the dew like dawn,
Blowing cool and refreshing across your body
Like rain, we are held, and seen, and known.
My eyes are dark rotating pools,
I feel them unspooling out towards you—
Filling the vacuum between us until
When I breathe, you must breathe,
And when you move,
I must move.

You are saying you see me working
The world over, processing and reprocessing
Like some old giant apple computer,
Like some black box math equation.
I am saying I feel my power through you,
Like the call to worship you feel in your bones,
Like the memories of trees that make up your trunk.

Oh the snow unmelted on the shadow side of roofs
Like your fathers narrow mouth. You say he is cruel.
Oh the narrow streets and big trucks of this town
Nestled in the valley, like your mother’s quiet listening
Eyes darting like hills and then touching clouds,
Cracking, rolling, unearthing everything around her.
Oh to know you like the thousand colored roofs of this town

Sprawling into the mountains. But you are not Scranton.
It is a shallow metaphor. And yet this light is you
These houses and hills, the history of electricity mines and railroads
The cold walk between the hotel and the only thai restaurant in the city,
The smiles we see, the plated windows of melted sand, pebbles, rubble,
Mud, steel of grates, the giant spruce in the courtyard.
Everything is you, fades into the sailing blue of you.
The glow and darkness of your skin making a barrier
When I touch it. I don't know how you are possible.
It feels like your skin encloses the whole world. I will always

Be pawing at that border between us, waiting to come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment