Friday 24 February 2017

reaction to the naming room

When the room filled with mathematicians and programmers
And the great hole of the universe began to loom so close
Above our heads that we could touch it, that it rained
I threw my jacket against theirs in the wind
And tried my hand in the great game
Of making a skeleton of all there is to know.
But when it hung perfectly against the silent rack
And all applauded my great head, I knew
The only thing I wanted to do was
Take a beer or two into the narrow hallway
Before the sterile bathroom of this great hall
And ask them to sit
And open the beer with my lighter
And take a sip and pass it over,
Reveling in the strange sharp incongruity
Of their eyebrows and their eyes
And focus for a moment,
Take all the wonder and fear
and all the things I do not know
And let them all out, if only in my eyes, and ask them,

“what is it like for you, to be alive?”

No comments:

Post a Comment