Wednesday 20 December 2017

ceaseless oceans 4

What joy there is in the hoofprints
I find in the snow
From shivering deer who after snuffling
Wet noses for green things have gone back
To a place I do not even know the name for!
How good that the world
Is so much bigger than me.

That birds whose species I do not know
Congregate beyond my sight in the sudden darkness
And warble throaty patterns which I cannot
Put into words. That there is everywhere
Around snow and ice that is melting at an imperceptible
And yet precise, rate regardless of my attention.
What a world—where the fox knows the joy of
Its teeth first splitting across the living skin
Of a rabbit whose heart beats fast from running
And I with rotund belly lean back,
Turn on a lamp, and open a book of stories
Within which are references to the names of men
Who have written thousands of pages I have never read
In a language a thousand years old that I have never spoken.
That the earth continues turning this day is a miracle to me
For I have nothing to do with its turning
Its gravity, spin, and momentum predating all human life.
What a wonder, what luck

That I might explore these soon to be ruins
Alone with but a plastic flashlight and goosedown jacket
That I found in my grandfathers closet.
What joy to walk down to the edge of the water
Where there was once only water
And touch the thistles with cold fingers,
And hear the laughter of ducks and the gurgle of frogs
Where once life had not even been imagined,
But where somehow now the imagination grows
So large its worlds expand beyond all comprehension
And infinite worlds of dreams open
Inside this one hovering about every thing and beyond it
Creating like manifold gods things never thought of.
The holly now stings my cheek,

How hard it is, cartogenic skin
And small, bright berries a mystery to me.
I could live a life transmuting the sun
Into sugar, or counting the minute bits of dust settling
And becoming my grey stone bones, or swirling
Bits of glass in my teeth then spitting them on the beach.
How good it is that the world is huge
And can hold within it
A body such as me

Filled with an illegible sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment