Wednesday 20 December 2017

ceaseless oceans 3

I wake late in the still house.
Birdsong drips over the roof as
Ice melts in the cold sun.
The tree I once climbed as a child
Still stands, solitary and with arms
Spread wide. There is another,
Of a kind, I have never noticed,
Protruding from the thicket behind it
In the back part of the house where I have not
Stepped since my memory began.
What if this tree has grown just now
To grant me access to the silent
World of the dead, where mute birds
And dreams build their nests?

Last night, we stood by the ocean together.
All about seagulls cut the sky
And a wind skipped from the lighthouse
To the bridge. You were quiet,
Looking out with narrow eyes
As if you could see all the way to the other side.
I looked at you and you blurred
And I heard the water tapping at my feet,
But I did not want to go.
Lights started up on the waves
First one, then two, then a hundred,
What wonder, whether stars or boats or fire,
But nothing compared to your hand
On my shoulder, your short fingers
Pressing your weight on me
As you turned and mouthed something
That the wind took away
So all I heard was the laughing of the ocean

And then I was alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment