Friday 8 December 2017

campaigns end

Cup this 2 year bottle draining
light out of the doorway.
it is the cold night, it is the short morning
it is day old croissants eaten by the punch clock
and notes furiously scribbled down on menu scraps
and hidden.
it is the cooks dropping out of school,
cutting their hair and moving back in with mom
in blackwater new jersey and
the gun sticking out of stewards’ belts
when they answer the door unpaused call of duty
triangulating the room in blue light.
He said he could fix anything,
He said he and the other seafarers tossed
Their boss over the railing one night
Because of what he’d called them.

It is midnight but I am sitting down to mint tea
and pulling apart fried fish with my fingers
with a view of the bed with 2 different color sheets
splitting it for mother and son.
Will you walk down this hallway with me
Where the broken glasses pray to the god of forgiveness
And the booms of raucous banquets make them sound
Like chandeliers crying if you close your eyes?
Hold my hand and tell me why Mario keeps getting the kids
Ribcages jutting out of the floor
And Rose must bottle it every night
And play it safe with a legal team
She could never afford.

And after we make love I watch her sleep
For the first time in a year, lips puckered
And cheeks slack like a baby. How close to bliss
We are at times, held apart by inches of breath.
How close to death, tied by our eyes looking
Everywhere else—I hunger for elusive honesty now
When the streets and I, the cold trees and i
Are the only ones awake, I crave the invasion
Of the real over everything.
Oh conquer me so that it might not feel this way.

If I submit to sleep tomorrow will begin,
And I do not know what I will do tomorrow.
Where do the winds go?
How can I flow like water with this loss
In my belly like a snake, the things we did not do
Slithering through my veins, the lives we could have led
Bleeding into me like venom?
I howl with the wolves tonight,
I keen the end of day.
I am collecting dust and moisture to rain down from a great height
I am winters heart beating fall into submission.
It is over and for all my love,
People will suffer. I am leaving them in their rented apartments,
In their vacationless years and scuttling smiles when their boss comments
On the deep cut of their uniform. I am leaving everyone it seems
And may not find.....
Well, forget what I was about to say.
I am with the night tonight,
An end is an end, and this grief will pass too,
Like the gravel moves from the bank and settles

In the bottom of the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment