Thursday 25 May 2017

vacation

You said you were
Overwhelmed by Havana.
I sat in sweat, unable to leave bed,
Shaking from dystopic visions
Of life where there was no fullness
Turning my smartphone over
And over in my hands
Trying to find somebody who would
Let me leave this place and get to you
Or get anywhere you said you were
Done so many times holding off on loving me,
Leaving me back in the deepwater going
Further.

Today I ran from table to table
In a dirty shirt trying to keep an eye
On the American bar where Josiah was trying to hide
From the fact that there is someone that spits
In his face everyday, and everyday he smiles
Another day clicks on the counter of who he does not want to be
And it is the same for me, tray of $15 cocktails crusted in unsalted butter
And sour jam in hand trying not to show anger
That another day of fighting in the open,
Wearing what you believe and feel with comrades,
The fast, I will have to miss, have to shadow
And knuckle it under the long list of things
I do not allow myself to need.

You said you were
Seeing me everywhere,
But I wish you weren’t,
Wish noone could see my set jaw
And the quietness I cannot hide
When the world does not bend.

There is an hour before
Some meeting I set to measure the time
Before someone else decides it is time to move
And fight and I will not drink,
Because drinking is a valve,
And I will not watch tv,
Because tv is a blindfold,
And I will not sleep,
Because I cannot sleep.
There is nothing to do,
Nothing, I am ashamed,
 and you are in the old streets
playing soccer with children, reconnecting to
an old soul that lives in your gut,
part of you is getting healthy
without me

And the sickness is I am glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment