Thursday 18 May 2017

may summer come

This is the sunfield--
Dried oatmeal left by the kitchen cleaner
Beneath a heavy blue flame;
The unrecyclable literature of a middling
Candidate sprawled across the mudroom floor
Beneath bike tires and beer kegs;
Mice at the corner of my vision
Flitting out of boredom, out of fear
That comes with days like this,
That there will only be days like this.
Sweat and no blood,
Sweat and no tears,
Planning and no action;
The bickering of organizers over
Whether you can say that to their committee,
The dried red crust of garlic sauce on a green spigget;

I am coming for you middling America,
With your dried bones you keep for medical powder
And your holy wars fought with human resources.
I am spray painting my skin for the high
And using my nakedness to collect
stories of your sexual exploits.
We are in the brown backyard together,
Watching the piles of dead leaves bake.
We are paying too much attention
And believe me, I am going to ask you
About this later.

Because it’s my fault we sit
At $13 wine bars and create
sporadic monuments to our intentions.
Perhaps that is what I do now.
It is my fault I am tying to enter into a cool room
Filled with silence about the things that turn us on,
Turn our bodies and souls on like tiny bulbs
Along a cosmic string.

This is the sunfield—
Bleached and bland,
Overstimulated and homogenous,
Bright, bright, and flat.
Where are you in this sun?
What color do your eyes change
And how do your muscles pull you up?
What memory comes with that hint of breeze?
What are the words to that song?
Tell me how you love yourself, even now.
I see you growing like a universe,
Circling like the ocean.
How do you stay quiet with all that inside?

Where have you been?

No comments:

Post a Comment