Sunday 10 September 2017

rather than not

When I saw the blue veins of your life
Like blue fish below your translucent skin
Like thin and ancient tributaries supporting
Some city—I could not know it for what it was.

If my flaw is any, it is many--
1. Holding candles against a darkness
I could let my eyes grow used to.
      2. choosing now to stand upon the made sacred
      ground of the I, of the need, when for years
      it has been a mudpit of wrestled giving.
               3. scarfing down the burnt moments of gladness
               to keep them glowing inside, instead of letting oxygen
               and time fan them into a more full body
                             4. for some reason not wanting to give in to you.

This sadness has many names,
Like god.

I am imagining you spiraling out,
Like some growing crystal--
I am imagining you missing me and choosing.

But this is also the ugly sounds frogs make at dusk,
The ones you heard when we walked
Towards the tower in the dark,
It is the loosened railings of my grandfather’s boat still molecularly moving
from your touch,
it is silent drives to unmarked destinations where
love is the only light we made.
it is cutting the power on the bridge and in silence 
letting what come
come.
it is all of my mistakes and my adolescent anger
and the misgivings of a man too smart to learn lessons for too long.

So much is irreconcilable.
I am drinking in an empty house with the memory
Of my hand on your chest about to imitate a star.

You and I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment