Wednesday 8 March 2017

the First

If the world were to begin,
It would be here
The dark opening through blue eyes
Swallowing everything,
hungry legs tender pulling,
Guiding light into the world
Bright light without beginning.

In the beginning there were words
And then light
And only afterwards a source.
Here, now, the fount, the mother lives
Gasping under me, I see it now,
The source of all, every meaning hidden deep
In the way your buttocks quivers,
The way your pelvis reaches out to kiss me,
The way as you rise up,
lips reach over themselves
Crawling up my neck, drinking dew,
Raining manna, sucking up and silent.

There is no beginning to understanding
The beautiful poems your fingers trace
Stretching and cracking, singing
With the breath which comes as you come,
And goes only like feet stepping down on the path up the mountain.

But I am beginning to see you
For what you are
You unfolding
You crazy arc
You hoarse whisper
You screamer and pounder and slapper
You rider
You human being animal being.

Beginnings are hardest, for the card and concept never align.
The spine of the moment is never clean
Never carrying its own weight.
There were moments where hardness was hardest
And the only respite for my lost, faceless soul
Was the home you opened up for me.
And so it goes with the first poem,
Already over itself, shapeless assertion at its voice and master.
Your eyes open, spilling darkness from the primordial something
And your legs are slick as a tongue and just so never still
Like the ocean rising up to greet me
And then falling with me, taking me down.

This is something beyond beginning,
Though I never leave it behind,
Though I never reach home*:
Inside, filling you and full of you
And no more than a child
With weeping, with trembling,
With no image, nor shield, nor image upon the shield for protection
With No sense of what I is
This feels like a reason to write songs, of which let this be the first,
This feels like the stuff of the earth, the source,

The reason we are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment