Monday 5 March 2018

Acela


“Charlie bit me.”
                                    “Why is this happening?”
“And it really hurt.”
                                    “Is this going to be forever?”
“And it’s still hurting.”

The woods are grey and thinned
Against a rolling sky that goes on.
The suit across from me hides a skeleton
Under little hair and fat, a few credit cards,
Ill-conceived smile designed to continue
The burial process of nervous questioning life
That last saw light in college when high on mushrooms
And wide eyed he splashed
water into his armpits and laughed
In front of his friends as it dripped down
And soaked his briefs.
Now the train is quiet except for the two Cambodian women
Bickering beside us and one of them opening
A can of seltzer.
Gravel, graffiti, warehouses, piles of disused metal.
Stopped chemical trains. Wood chips and cell-phone towers.
What is there in this world?
This morning I almost could not wake,
The dreams pulled me so down as under waves.
I slip over a blue sweater and fry eggs barefoot,
The cold tiles speaking something of life
I cannot quite make out.
The house snores.
I have never wanted to sleep so much.
There is too much time,
I did not even notice before.

No comments:

Post a Comment