Saturday 20 January 2018

ceaseless oceans 5

I came to your house for selfish reasons
And when I got there,
I dodged past trash bags filled
With your old polos and sweaters,
I opened the closet where you recently found
Your souvenir pistol from the Korean war
And I looked for hidden treasures.
Your jackets are very puffy.
The house was dark and quiet.
Behind, the woods have thinned
So that I could almost see the neighbors house
When I pulled my pants down to pee.
The boat was covered in snow, which tonight
Will turn to ice. I heard a whipperwill,
Driving in with the windows down,
But it could have been somebody’s clock.
Almost no one is home this time of year.
Nobody recognizes me.
I went to nauset fish like we always do
And he treated me like a tourist,
Gave me the whole bit about how accurately
He can cut salmon.
Small objects hold you.
That glass bobble with black and gold splattered inside,
Your canes stacked in a corner,
The view from your bedroom window
Which I have hardly ever seen in my life but I imagine
You knew so well by the time you were gone
You barely looked at it anymore.
I am looking now at the branches like upturned hands,

At the clouds scattered above cedar panes all the way to the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment